Pages

Friday 5 August 2016

Cook Island Language Week

IMG_0367.JPG
Since it was Cook Island language week we had some visitors coming in to talk with students about Cook Island’s history. Some of the visitors were from the Auckland Museum and knew MANY things about the Cook Island culture. A vaka - (Cook Island canoe) was used back in the days when we didn't have mitre ten or electronics. The vaka was made of a hollow log, niu - (coconut string) and to make it water proof they used grape fruit sap.  I found the drill they used a long time ago really fascinating because I had no idea that something like that was even invented. They had so much to tell about their culture and they taught me so much, I mean I never knew that a Vaka could be also shown as a family.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Malo e lelei Heather,
I also found the drill fascinating. I enjoyed the learning about my ancestors and my culture. Would you like to learn more about your culture?

Post a Comment